Mothers Day

For me, Mothers Day is bigger than my birthday. It is the only day, reserved entirely for thanking a mother. Tell me, how often does that happen? I don’t care that Hallmark reminds husbands and teenagers for the 5 months preceding – they know it takes that long to sink in.

I thought it might be time to compile my top ten Mothers Day Spoiling Tips. (For whomever would like to inform my husband):

1) In the lead up: Great excitement from my children about what they have made me, or bought all by themselves, with my last spare coffee money, at the school mother’s day stall.

2) On the morning: Open my hand made ashtray and dusty Yardley soap in bed, surrounded by all my amazing little (and one big) beauties (yes, on this morning even my husband and his morning breath qualify as beaut). Cry a lot with gratitude.

3) Surprised by a hand-penned poem from my husband all about how much he appreciates every tiny little stress I undergo, the complete and utter exhaustion, and incredible difficulty involved in the HERCULEAN tasks that are managing our family. Poem MUST note all tasks individually. I mean, does note all tasks individually. Cry again.

4) Go out for breakfast. Never breakfast in bed. Sleeping with sand, crayons, the odd shoe and those missing pieces of Lego left in my bed by “NOT ME” is enough, without adding scratchy toast crumbs.

5) Children sit like little drugged up angels for a luscious, long, lazy breakfast, in a sunny window looking out at the beach, with about five coffee top ups and an entire SMH read cover to cover. Ahhhh…

6) Surprise my mum with something which I really hope conveys how much I love her and appreciate every little task she has undertaken to bring me into, and up in, the world.

7) Celebrate with my sister on her first, and most important Mothers Day, for which her Little Miss 8 Months Old is currently crawling the shops.  Or making an ashtray.

8) Tetsuya comes to our house to cook for our extended family, we all sip champagne, in the sun, complete with a professional foot massage, while the cranky great aunt twice-removed and all cousins sleep, concurrently, for about 6 hours.

9) A little champagne-induced nanna nap.

10) Cry again at how blessed I am to have my beautiful family, even if all this did only happen during my champagne-induced nanna nap dreams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment